Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving, An Update and X Factor Songs.

A night of Thanksgiving football is always an added bonus but quite a few mistakes were made, for starters I've made a hash of my fantasy team.

I have a number of fantasy teams this season but perhaps the best and most competitive one is with ESPN, where each "coach" starts the season by rating players before the "draft". Then each team receives a player in turn based on their ratings until they have a squad. We have 2 divisions and each week your team is matched up with another and a victory handed to the team that scores the most points. Trades between teams are allowed when they can be agreed and it is also possible to pick spare players up that aren't attached to other teams.

I started badly, losing 5 of my first 6 games. I then knuckled down and spent some time studying the format (should have done that at the out set) and I now have a 6 & 5 record having won my last 5 games. In my league there are 4 teams now tied at the top at 6 & 5. My squad is pasted below.

QBEli Manning, NYG QB P














RBRyan Grant, GB RB P














RBJason Snelling, Atl RB














RB/WRPercy Harvin, Min WR














WRHines Ward, Pit WR














WRDerrick Mason, Bal WR














TEKellen Winslow, TB TE P














D/STCowboys D/ST, Dal D/ST














KJohn Carney, NO K














BENCH





SLOTPLAYER, TEAM POS














BenchPeyton Manning, Ind QB P














BenchReggie Bush, NO RB Q














BenchSantonio Holmes, Pit WR














BenchSteve Slaton, Hou RB Q














BenchCorrell Buckhalter, Den RB














BenchVisanthe Shiancoe, Min TE














BenchRobert Meachem, NO WR

There are 2 weeks left before the "playoffs" and only 4 teams will progress. This week and next I am up against 2 teams that are also tied for 1st on 6 & 5 so if I win them both I am in the play offs.

The key to my team this week is Michael Turner. I really need him to remain injured and not play. This will allow Jason Snelling (who I picked up for free last week) to be Atlanta's main running back against Tampa - where he is likely to score heavily against a bad rush defense.

Last night Ryan Grant (Green Bay RB) did ok scoring 10 points and I had Dallas as my Special Teams/Defense. They ended on 9 points but were up to 14 before the Oakland drive that they converted into a touchdown. I elected to play Eli Manning last night after quite some agonising and that was a big mistake. Leaving Peyton on the bench last week paid dividends but that was because Eli was up against Atlanta who have a poor pass defense - Denver do not. I was also not happy to see the rookie Knowshon Moreno play so well last night for The Broncos as my opponent has him in his squad. At this stage of the game I will need some luck to win, which after a really good recent effort is disappointing.

Back to the punting and I have decided to add Dallas Cowboys to my Superbowl portfolio. I have backed them at 26/1 on Betfair. Granted they do have a tough schedule, but so do New York and I think they are a stronger side. If Miles Austin continues in the form he showed last night they really should win the NFC East and with a little luck in the Post Season could go close which will hopefully leave me in a good trading position.

I have also traded out of my bet on George Hamilton. I laid him on the exchange at 3.95 locking in a profit no matter what. I haven't really been watching the show so it's best to get out of any positions. Looking at the market it does appear for reasons I do not know that Gino DAcampo is a shoe in.

Looking ahead to X Factor this week where the remaining acts will sing two songs, one by Elton John and one by Take That. I am hoping that Olly can get back on track this week as he really should be able to nail a couple of good performances. He has eased in the market somewhat but that is to be expected after appearing in the bottom two. This Saturday will be crucial to our bet.

I have managed to get my hands on the song choices early. I might well write a preview with my thoughts tomorrow but for the time being here they are:

Stacey
Something Abut The Way You Look Tonight - Elton John

Rule The World - Take That

Joe
Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word - Elton John

Could It Be Magic- Take That

Lloyd
I'm Still Standing - Elton John

Million Love Songs - Take That

Danyl
Your Song - Elton John

Relight My Fire - Take That

Olly
Saturday Nights Alright For Fighting - Elton John

Love Ain't Here Anymore- Take That

1 comment:

  1. "The key to my team this week is Michael Turner. I really need him to be remain injured and not play."

    Quote of the week!

    ReplyDelete